Peter Walker is a well-known pioneer in the field of baby massage. He has developed unique techniques and pioneered the practice of Developmental Baby Massage and Soft Gymnastics.
Peter Walker began his work with families in England as a physical therapist and yoga teacher. Peter studied yoga, experiential anatomy and physiology with Arthur Balaskas, an associate member of RD Laing's Philadelphia Association, and became interested in using baby massage when he observed parents using massage and soothing stokes to supplement physical therapy work being done with their children. During this period he worked within a group supervised by Dr. Laing giving psycho-gymnastic and rebirthing workshops both in the UK and abroad.
Between 1980-1986 Peter Walker introduced yoga and massage into a number of Dr Laing's therapeutic communities. From the mid eighties onwards he has worked with families and babies, teaching baby massage and soft gymnastics for infants and children.
In Peter’s book “Baby Massage: A Practical Guide to Massage and Movement” he connects both the value of stroking and movement for infants and young children.
Peter Walker’s ideas may be best summarized in his own words, “Babies respond well to being carried and rocked, because it is one of the few things that are familiar, the sense of kinesthetic, or body in motion, having already developed by these same movements in utero.
Similarly, babies respond well to being stroked because the area of the brain’s cortex that processes this sense is more developed at birth than any other area.”
Peter Walker Books
- Walker, Peter. Baby Massage: A Practical Guide to Massage and Movement for Babies and Infants. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1996.
- Walker, Peter. The Practical Art of Baby Massage. Carroll & Brown
- Walker, Peter. Baby Gymnastics (Unwin)
- Walker, Peter. Baby Relax (Unwin)
- Walker, Peter. Going for Gold (Unwin)
- Walker, Peter. Natural Parenting (Gaia)
- Walker, Peter. The Book of Massage (Gaia)
- Walker, Peter. Baby Massage (Piatkus)
- Walker, Peter. The Practical Art of Baby Massage (Carroll & Brown Published October 2000)
- Walker, Peter. Baby Massage for Beginers (Carroll & Brown 2001) Hop Skip and Jump (Carroll & Brown 2002)
Peter Walker Videos
- Walker, Peter. Developmental Baby Massage (DVD)
- Walker, Peter. The Video of Baby Massage (LPV)
- Walker, Peter. Baby Massage Step 1 Baby Massage Step 2 and 3 (Little Venice Films)
- Walker, Peter. Loving Baby Massage (East Atlantic Videos)
- Walker, Peter. Peter Walker's Massage and Movement. Birth to Three Years
- Walker, Peter. The Practical Art of Baby Massage (Little Venice Films)
"The belly is an emotional centre. Relax the belly and you relax the baby"
- Peter Walker
Share your comments and thoughts here on the Liddle Kidz Forum:
’Infant Massage and Pediatric Massage Forums
(If you would like to republish the above article, please e-mail your request and where it will reside to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will send you a short bio you can use with it for your site.)